We’re very lucky in Willow at Sherwood to have a year round farmers’ market just minutes away and brand new grocery stores nearby. But have you ever wondered how they compare against each other?
It’s been all over the news the past couple of weeks……even with low oil prices, the price of food at your local grocery store is way up! This is mainly because of our low loonie.
So I thought it would be interesting to see how your local grocery store and farmers’ market stack up against each other in price comparisons for similar products (veggies, fruit, and meat).
Symons Valley Ranch Farmers’ Market – Although a farmers’ market does not have the same variety of products and produce, what they do have is almost all locally grown/raised. The meat is from Alberta producers, the fruit from B.C., and most of the veggies are from an Alberta green house (support local!).
- B.C. apples – (any type) $6 basket (about 8-10 apples) or 10lb bag for $12
- Squash (variety – any type) – $1.49/lb
- Broccoli (California) – $4.50/lb
- Cucumber – $2.00 each
- 12 eggs (large) – $6.50
- Bacon (408g)- $8.97
- Extra lean ground beef – $16.99/kg or $8.46 for 0.496kg pack
- Pack of two boneless chicken breast – $11.69
- Sliced bread – $6.00 loaf
- Keurig coffee pods (mix and match!) – 12 for $9.75
Here are the similar items at Sobeys:
- B.C. apples – 5lb bag for $7.99 to $8.99 depending on type
- Squash (variety – any type) – $1.69/lb
- Broccoli (California) – $3.69/lb
- Cucumber – $3.49 each (on sale $1.79 each)
- 12eEggs (Large) – $4.79
- Bacon (375g)- $7.29
- Extra lean ground beef – $15.19/kg or $7.54 for 0.496kg pack
- Pack of two boneless chicken breast – $9.12
- Sliced bread – $4.00 loaf
- Keurig coffee pods – 1 box of 12 pods (one type) varies from $ 8.00 (on sale) to $12.00
All in all, I was surprised that the difference in price didn’t have much of a gap. And one of the nice things about the farmers’ market is that you know exactly what you’re getting, where it’s from and how it was raised. Plus, it is (almost) all local. I know these are things I’m looking for when I’m shopping!
And if the farmers’ market doesn’t have everything you need , Sobeys is so conveniently located close by!
Until next time
TaraLynn @ Willow