If you’ve been following our latest posts about design trends for spring, then you know all about mixing old and new in your home. Our showhome designers are taking a DIY spin on the whole idea this month. They’ve given some ideas that will take you on the perfect little excursion to your local antique shop, followed by some DIY tips to create a stylish and useful piece in your home, even for storage! Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- If you find a chest you love, use the drawers and attach wheels to the bottoms for moveable, stylish storage. This tip can come in especially hand for using that space under the bed.
- Pick up some old milk crates, paint them, or don’t. Then attach them to the wall for a unique shoe display/storage solution. There’s no need to stick to just shoes, you can use these spaces as vintage looking book shelves, or anything else that works for you.
- Find a vintage picture frame, and some old fabric, and frame the fabric. You might even have both of these lying around. This idea is a great way to incorporate patterns and accents into your space.
Now that the design wheels are turning, you can make a day out of hunting for the perfect vintage find. Our designers are sharing a few prime spots in and around Calgary to find what you’re looking for:
- Cozy Cottage Interiors at 162 8228 Macleod Trail SE
- Iron Crow at 4305-9 Street SE
- Reclaimed Canada at 2501 Alyth Road SE
- Heritage Antique Mall at 7680 Blackfoot Trail SE
- Where on Earth Did you Get That? At 325 Edmonton Trail SE in Airdre
- Sentimental Journey Antiques at 1901 20th Avenue in Nanton
Stay tuned for more ideas on using vintage finds and creating pieces to put a unique spin on your interior design. Happy antique shopping!