- Our Avi Urban interior designer Julie Punter is filling you in on the latest summer design trends for your home. Plus, she’ll help you find easy and affordable ways to make these trends your own.
So what’s hot for summer? “White-on-white is coming back, even though I’m sure some people have just gotten rid of their white walls!” Julie laughs. Freshening up with white is a great way to transition your indoors into summertime weather. Try these tips to mix white-on-white into your home décor:
- Freshen up with white linens, like blankets, sheets and duvet covers
- Keep it crisp and clean with white and glass accents
- If your sofa is a darker colour, grab an affordable white slipcover and some white toss cushions to create an airy feeling
- Create some texture by adding a sisal area rug, and don’t be afraid to add just a few pops of colour to the white space
One of the hot trends this season is collections of vases. Use Fire King white glass and other glass containers lined up or gathered together for a vignette.
- Pulling in the reclaimed vibe, bring new life to old vases or glass containers by arranging them with new pieces
Also in this season is the reclaimed look, seen in the Homes by Avi Dream Home and in stores like Restoration Hardware.“ Try using cool finds from family heirlooms to thrift shop treasures and rework it into décor,” suggests Julie, “and give those pieces new life!” Here are some ways to add this look into your décor this season:
- Try thrift stores and garage sales, and shop for one-off finds that make a space great
- Use layers and different textures to create an eclectic, reworked look
- At the Dream Home, Julie added a typewriter found at the Salvation Army into the home office as a decorative piece
Also in the Dream Home, the design team visited an abandoned barn and found an old ladder, which now displays a few throw blankets and books
Try using these cool new summer trends in your interior design this season, and share a photo on our Facebook page! If you have questions for our designers, comment below or email email@example.com.