No more winter blues, no more wondering what you’re gonna do for the weekend to keep yourself busy. Welcome to festival season!
Calgary’s culture and music scene is strong, and doesn’t seem to be letting down any time soon. From food festivals, to music festivals (even a quilt festival), there is something for everyone this summer.
Here are our top picks (again, it’s all on what gets you inspired to get out there):
1. Taste of Calgary – If you’re a foodie, this one is for you! Running August 11-14 every day from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. you can sample some of the best food and drinks from Calgary’s best and most unique restaurants. You simply purchase sampling tickets for $1 each and purchase any food or beverages on the menus.
2. Sled Island – Independent music lovers rejoice! Make sure you free up time in your calendar to take in as many of the shows that you possibly can because there are soooo many! Running from June 22-26, the city will see over 200 artists and bands that will play at 25 venues in the city.
3. Chasing Summer – Western Canada’s largest outdoor electronic music festival returns July 30 and 31 at the Max Bell Centre. Featuring 25 dj’s over the two day festival spinning the hottest electronic music today!
4. Beakerhead – Where science, art and engineering come together. A festival that inspires, engages the public in science and engineering, and a fun opportunity to learn! Held at various locations across the city, this festival is one you can’t miss!
5. Folk Music Festival – The 37th annual Folk Festival is upon Calgary July 21-24 and will be featuring sound salvation that programs 76 icons and upstarts from 16 countries on 8 stages in concerts and magical collaborative sessions….all at Prince’s Island Park. Bring a blanket to sit on and prepare to be wowed by all the musical talent.
There are so many different festivals for many different tastes. Something almost every weekend after the Lilac Festival kicked everything off!
So get out there and enjoy all the culture and music this city has to offer.
Until next time,
Your Avi Urban team
Photo cred to:
Beakerhead, Photo by Neil Zeller
Taste of Calgary, Photo by are you gonna eat that