Construction is moving forward at The Post at Nolan Hill! These first few stages are crucial, but they do take some time. At this point, it can be hard to see what progress is actually happening in comparison to other stages in construction (like framing), but our team is hard at work preparing for the next steps!
Right now with the use of excavators, backhoes and a bulldozer, the construction crew is clearing the site of rocks and other debris to make way for the townhomes, courtyard, and roads. They are also putting in the deep services for all the townhomes (this is where we bring the utility tie-ins from the city for water, electricity and sewer to the primary tie-in locations for each building).
Here are what the steps and stages in construction look like:
- Footings and foundations – The construction crew levels the site, and dig the base outline of the townhome foundations. Footings (structures where the house interfaces with the earth that supports it) are installed, and then they put up wooden forms to serve as a template for the foundation. The footings are formed and poured, and then foundation walls are formed and poured.
- Framing – The floor systems, walls and roof systems are completed (collectively known as the shell or skeleton of the house).
- Rough-in of utilities (plumbing, electrical, sewer, ducting for heating and ventilation). At about the same time this is happening, the siding and roofing can be installed. Shower units and one piece tubs are also moved into place at this stage because there’s more room to maneuver large objects.
- After the rough-ins are inspected and approved, the next step is to install insulation. Insulation plays a key role in creating a more comfortable, consistent indoor climate while significantly improving a home’s energy efficiency.
- Complete drywall – Drywall is hung and taped/mudded so the seams between the boards aren’t visible. The primer coat of paint is also applied after taping is complete.
- Finish interior trim – Interior doors, baseboards, door casings, window sills, moldings, stair balusters and other decorative trim are installed, along with cabinets, vanities and fireplace mantels and surrounds. Walls get a finish coat of paint.
- Install hard-surface countertops and flooring – Countertops are installed, as well as ceramic tile, vinyl/lino and wood flooring.
- Finish mechanical trims; install bathroom fixtures: Light fixtures, outlets and switches are installed and the electrical panel is completed. Sinks, toilets and faucets are put in place.
- Install mirrors, shower doors and finish flooring – Mirrors, shower doors and carpeting are installed, and final cleanup takes place.
- Final walkthrough before possession. You will walk you through your new home (twice, once with a thrid party inspector, 2nd time with the Avi Urban rep) to acquaint you with its features and the operation of various systems and components, and explain your responsibilities for maintenance and upkeep as well as warranty coverage and procedures.
Throughout each stage of construction, we’ll be keeping you up to date on how your new home at The Post is coming along. Keep it locked to our Facebook page for more photos as the progress continues!
TaraLynn @ The Post at Nolan Hill