Did you know that Homes by Avi chooses 100% renewable electricity for its offices and homes under construction? Bullfrog’s green electricity comes from a blend of wind and low-impact hydro power sourced from new Canadian renewable energy facilities. Bullfrog’s generators simply put renewable electricity onto the grid to match the amount of conventional electricity our bullfrogpowered locations use.
By choosing Bullfrog’s renewable electricity, we are reducing our organization’s environmental footprint, supporting the development of community-based renewable energy projects in Alberta and across Canada, and helping lead the way to a renewably powered future.
As environmental challenges are bigger than any one organization can solve alone, we wanted to provide more steps we can all take to further reduce our impact on the planet:
- In the kitchen- Stock up the fridge
- Did you know that full fridges and freezers use less energy? Fill up your fridge so it can recover its internal temperature more quickly after it’s opened. But remember to leave enough space around food items to allow circulation of cold air.
- Around the home- Take advantage of your blinds and drapes
- In the winter, open your blinds during the day to allow sunlight to heat your home, then close them at night to minimize heat loss. In the summer, keep them closed during the day to block out the heat.
- Home appliances- Schedule your appliance usage
- Electricity demand is greatest during the day. Running major appliances at night or in the early morning will put less strain on the electricity grid.
- Insulation and heating- Cover your existing hot water heater
- Prevent costly heat loss by adding an insulating cover to your hot water heater. You can buy a hot water heater jacket at your hardware store – and it will be worth the trip, saving you up to 15% on your water heating costs.
- Out and about- Get vocal
- Whenever you’re shopping for electronics of any kind, make sure you tell sales staff you’re looking for energy efficiency. And don’t be shy to ask where your food or clothes come from. Asking questions will encourage more retailers and suppliers to take action.
- Choose Bullfrog Power for your own home, apartment or rental unit.
- It’s simple, affordable, and no changes are required. You can sign up online in less than 10 minutes at bullfrogpower.com. By using our promotional code: HOMESBYAVI you’ll receive $25 toward your Bullfrog Power account when you sign on for green electricity.
Check out more conservation tips in this e-booklet!