There is now activity happening at Willow in Sherwood! Even with construction just beginning, there is a lot of critical work happening to prep the site for deep services to begin for the start of construction.
There are other great things to see in the surrounding community, the park across the street from our site is almost complete and will be ready to use by the time the first home owners are moving in.
For anyone who has not experienced building a new townhome before, here are the steps and stages in the construction process:
- Deep Services and Roads – With the use of excavators, backhoes and a bulldozer, the site is being cleared of rocks and other debris to make way for the townhomes, courtyard, and roads. Also putting in the deep services for all the townhomes is where we bring the utility tie-ins from the city for water, electricity and sewer to the primary tie-in locations for each building. Roads will be going in, giving the site definition.
- Footings and foundations – The construction crew levels the site and dig the base outline of the townhome foundations. Footings (structures where the house interfaces with the earth that supports it) are installed, and then they put up wooden forms to serve as a template for the foundation. The footings are formed and poured, and then foundation walls are formed and poured.
- Framing – The floor systems, walls and roof systems are completed (collectively known as the shell or skeleton of the house).
- Rough-in of utilities (plumbing, electrical, sewer, ducting for heating and ventilation). At about the same time this is happening, the siding and roofing can be installed. Shower units and one piece tubs are also moved into place at this stage because there’s more room to manoeuver large objects.
- After the rough-ins are inspected and approved, the next step is to install insulation. Insulation plays a key role in creating a more comfortable, consistent indoor climate while significantly improving a homes energy efficiency.
- Complete drywall – Drywall is hung and taped/mudded so the seams between the boards aren’t visible. The primer coat of paint is also applied after taping is complete.
- Finish interior trim – Interior doors, baseboards, door casings, window sills, moldings, stair balusters and other decorative trim are installed, along with cabinets, vanities and fireplace mantels and surrounds. Walls get a finish coat of paint.
- Install hard-surface countertops and flooring – Countertops are installed, as well as ceramic tile, vinyl/lino and wood flooring.
- Finish mechanical trims; install bathroom fixtures: Light fixtures, outlets and switches are installed and the electrical panel is completed. Sinks, toilets and faucets are put in place.
- Install mirrors, shower doors and finish flooring – Mirrors, shower doors and carpeting are installed, and final cleanup takes place.
- Final walkthrough before possession. You will walk through your new home (twice, once with a thrid party inspector, 2nd time with the Avi Urban rep) to acquaint you with its features and the operation of various systems and components, and explain your responsibilities for maintenance and upkeep as well as warranty coverage and procedures.
- Landscaping – This is the last portion to be completed, sidewalks and paths are completed, trees and bushes planted and finally sod. Because of Calgary weather landscaping can only be completed during spring and summer months (maybe even some in fall if weather is fair). Don’t forget that driveways are a seasonal items as well!
Throughout each stage of construction, we’ll be keeping you up to date on how your new home at Willow in Sherwood is coming along. Check out Avi Urban’s Facebook Page and Blog for more photo’s, design tips and community events/info.
TaraLynn @ Willow in Sherwood